Homemade A/F Meter

Wayne DeLisle Sr. support at sestar.net
Sat Nov 14 12:24:21 GMT 1998

At 04:41 PM 11/13/98 PST, you wrote:
>Wiring of the O2 seems okay, but the problem is the low voltage signal.
>I am getting readings of 0.045 to 0.075 volts, it should be in the
>region of 0-1 volts, right? Could it be that the low voltage is due to
>wrong mounting of the O2 sensor? I have found that the tip os my O2
>sensor is barely 1/4 of the distance to the centre of the exhaust
>piping.

I did some playing around with a sooted up O2 sensor off of my son's
plymouth Horizon 2.2L engine.

I put it in a vice and hooked up a DVM to it and started heating it with
a propane torch.  At first i got nothing, then as the soot started butning off,
I started getting readings of less then .1 volt. I could vary the readings
by moving the flame around. By directing the flame in the slits around
the covering I was able to eventually get readings in the .4 to .5V range
with the covering a dull red hot.

After 15 minutes of horsing around with it, I put it back in the car, put in
a new set of plugs and the car ran fine for another 4 years.

Since thn, I've done that with 3 other O2 sensors, 2 of them were contaminated
with antifreeze from a blown head gasket. All were restored to normal function
after a good flame soaking with the benzomatic.....

WD
Wayne DeLisle Sr.
Email:support at sestar.net