DIS vs Individual coils

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Sat Nov 14 21:26:28 GMT 1998

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> On turbo applications running high boost/big cams has anyone
> here actually had a problem with not being able to retard the
> timing enough to make max HP, due to an intake tract popping
> occuring?  ie lighting the open intakes AF mixture.
>   Not with oem cams, but longer duration aftermarket stuff.
>
> Other than for individual cylinder timing control is there any reason
> to go to individual coils?.
> Cheers
> Bruce

I'm going to run a distributor as I already have it w/ a shutter wheel
with a short tooth that signals the CPU. That way, you don't need to know
the crank/cam position for spark, only for fuel.  That makes starting
easier, as you just need to fire all injectors (sequentially, of course)
as the starter engages. You should be in sequence before 2 revolutions (8
cyl fired), then turn on the fuel.

You can, of course, adjust individual timing even with a distributor.

Regards  Tom