Timing...

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 15 01:11:18 GMT 1998

At 05:35 PM 11/14/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Yeah but it would make more sense if the front cylinders were ADVANCED.
>Sure they aren't?

Yep... Double checked again and the rears are advanced... The one closest
to the water pump is advanced less than the other 2.

>Seems to me the front bank will run cooler than the rear.  The rear will
>allow more advance before knocking then.  Right?

Actually, the other way around... The front will allow more advance before
knocking because they are cooler.  (Theoretically...)  Maybe the fronts
being slightly retarded run a bit hotter so they force them to run at equal
temps? (rears hotter due to lack of airflow, fronts hotter due to 2-3
degrees of retard).

>I have a Mitsubishi 6G72 turbocharged engine (V6, 3.0l), also transversely
>mounted.  I'd love to get into the ECU but supposedly it is not easy without
>a Techtom unit due to a custom 68 PLCC.  In any case, the rear bank
>definitely runs hotter than the front.  EGTs even vary which I suspect is
>related in part to different timing but don't know for sure.

Be nice if there was a way to read the prom inexpensively via a service port...

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.