trac. contr.

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Mon Nov 16 01:21:50 GMT 1998

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Greg Hermann wrote:

> Once was in charge of a bunch of wear testing on that type of Chain
> (Hy-Vo). The test machine was set up to run Toro/Eldo chains, but no big
> deal.  FWIW, ATF gave 100% better chain wear than any type of conventional
> gear oil. Synthetic gear oils (then pretty new stuff) did even worse. Note
> that the Torp/Eldo used a 3/8" pitch chain, 2" wide between the converter
> and tranny--an excellent application, which rarely wore out. Transfer cases
> apply the chain between the tranny and the axle, also after the low range
> gear, still use 3/8" pitch, sometimes 1/2" pitch chain, varying (I think)
> from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" wide, depending on application, and about the same
> size sprockets. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that
> these chains are loaded a lot more heavily, and do wear out, pretty
> regularly.
> >
> >You're right about it being sensitive to the oil.

Hy-Vo chain was/is used for lotsa industrial apps too and in their catalog
they have [or had...] a chart showing acceptable power loading for various
pitches\widths depending on viscosity and type of lubrication system. Use
gear 90 and the rating tanks. Pressure lube with 10-30 or ATF and the
rating goes up, way up.

The old NP 203 used to eat chains with gear 90. Never a problem with
reccomended oils [ignoring the idiot factor here]