Steering Wheel Switches

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Mon Nov 16 18:02:01 GMT 1998

I went to Las Vegas with the wife the last week of October.  Went to the Sahara
hotel where they have an interesting driving simultation using 24, 3/4 size Indy
cars mounted on hydraulic rams, each in it's on booth in front of a big wide
screen.  You guessed it, you race against the other drivers.  For $8 it was better
than the simulators in the arcades.  They give you a read out after you race with
a traction circle and other info showing how you did.  After looking at the info,
I was less frustrated and wanted to go back, but the wife had another agenda.

The transmission was semi-auto with the up and down buttons on the steering
wheel.  That made me think of the higher end cars in the late '80's.  There seemed
to be a contest to see who could mount the most buttons on the steering wheel.  I
think the Bonneville SEi had more than an F-16 cockpit.  I know each button didn't
have a seperate ring in the steering column, so how did the switch signal travel
from the steering wheel to where ever it went?  All my electronically limited mind
can think of is either different resistances or capacitances or varying frequency
signals.

Am I close?

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban