Steering Wheel Switches

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Mon Nov 16 20:36:47 GMT 1998

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Joe Boucher wrote:

> I went to Las Vegas with the wife the last week of October.  Went to the Sahara
> hotel where they have an interesting driving simultation using 24, 3/4 size Indy
> cars mounted on hydraulic rams, each in it's on booth in front of a big wide
> screen.  You guessed it, you race against the other drivers.  For $8 it was better
> than the simulators in the arcades.  They give you a read out after you race with
> a traction circle and other info showing how you did.  After looking at the info,
> I was less frustrated and wanted to go back, but the wife had another agenda.
>
> The transmission was semi-auto with the up and down buttons on the steering
> wheel.  That made me think of the higher end cars in the late '80's.  There seemed
> to be a contest to see who could mount the most buttons on the steering wheel.  I
> think the Bonneville SEi had more than an F-16 cockpit.  I know each button didn't
> have a seperate ring in the steering column, so how did the switch signal travel
> from the steering wheel to where ever it went?  All my electronically limited mind
> can think of is either different resistances or capacitances or varying frequency
> signals.
>
> Am I close?
>
> Joe Boucher
> '70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban

I don't know exactly, but on the Trans-AM's with steering wheel
controls I believe used different resistances.  Someone (Keith L,
www.ws6.com) reverse engineered the stero controls (to use to
activate nitrous).  There are probably some archives about his
discussion on the f-body web site (www.f-body.org).  I seem to
remember some pretty good details about who it worked.

I did not find anything listed about what he did on www.ws6.com, but I
am sure someplace in the archives (on the f-body group) there will be
some discussion of who it worked.

				Roger