Steering Wheel Switches

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Tue Nov 17 14:08:13 GMT 1998

>from the steering wheel to where ever it went?  All my electronically
limited
>can think of is either different resistances or capacitances or varying

There are two ways.... the easy way, and the hard way.

The way to do it is with serial data - All you need are three rings -
ground, power, and serial out (use Xon/Xoff heehehehe).  I took it one step
further - two rings, power/ground, and the serial data goes down the hollow
steering shaft via an infared LED, with a photo diode on the other end.  I
haven't finished this project, because seemingly I need rings on the bottom
of the steering shaft.

I wanted to use photooptics because the rings scratch after time and might
garble the serial data.  Would suck to push "cruise off" and have the horn
go off :)

The other option is to have the LED on the side of the steering column, and
the photodiode nearby on the dash.

My thoughts anyway.

Frederic Breitwieser
Fairfield County CT
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/
WANTED: World Cheapest Crew Cab Truck (< 2k no rust)
1989 500cid Twin-Turbo HMMV
1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1973 460cid Lincoln Continental
2000 Buick Twin-Turbo GTP (in progress)