[RE: ECU problems (7730 cold solder?)]

tedscj at usa.net tedscj at usa.net
Tue Nov 17 18:13:12 GMT 1998

diy_efi-owner at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu wrote:
> Hi

> One thing you can look at, is whether the injector driver stage of your ECU
is

> not blown. Many silicon devices go short circuit on overcurrent, so maybe
????

> Cheers and good luck

> Carlo

After looking at it some more today, I can't find any harness faults.

What is happening is very strange. When you turn the igniton on but don't
crank the engine, all 6 injectors slam open and dump a large amout of fuel
into the manifold and continue dumping fuel untill you shut of the ignition.
BUT, when you crank the engine, they inject normally (pulseing) and if you can

get the engine to start, it runs with a random miss, but it runs. Its only
when the ignition is on, but the engine is not turning that the error occurs.
So the drivers themselves work, but something is telling them to stay open
with ign. on but no crank. What could that possibly be?
I don't know what else to do but to buy a new ECM and hope that fixes the
problem. Luckily a new (rebuilt) is "only" $90.  ( they want 50 to 75 at the
junkyards, so I'm just going to get a new one)

Thanks for the help,
Ted