diy ecm break boxes

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com
Sat Nov 21 00:41:32 GMT 1998

Hi Mike; The idea I have for a GM breakout box uses the male connector
(24/32 pin) de-soldered from the ECM PC board. The male connector is placed
in a small  aluminum project box . The wires from a harness nabbed at  the
junk yard are Soldered to the connector. The harness should be about 2'
long. I drilled the old ECM box and installed  banana jacks For each pin on
the connector . The female 24/32 pin connector from the junkyard harness is
also soldered to the banana jacks corresponding to the correct pin on the
male connector. The PROM access  door was left off of the ECM box and a red
plastic filter was glued on the inside. I placed LED's to indicate  +12V
power , fuel pump on, cranking signal
Etc.  The full sized Vans have a long harness so I don't think noise on the
harness will be a problem. Total cost would be around $40-50 If you can get
a junk ECM cheap. A Ford box would be built along the same lines.

Good luck with your project.

Don