Injectors and resistors

Steve Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Mon Nov 23 00:55:46 GMT 1998

I need the assistance of and EE......

My next major project is to get an 808 ecm to drive a Nissan VG30DET
engine.  This a 3L Quad Cam 24V single turbo engine.  We believe we can
solve the main hardware issues to overcome (TB's and ignition system), but
one issue remains a thorny one...low impedance injectors (6, to be exact).

I'm reliably informed that the 808 will not drive 6 low impedance
injectors.  One alternative would be to change the injectors, but this
would add quite a bit to the cost.  Another possible alternative is to try
what Nissan did with its early L-Jet based systems......use a resistor in
series with each injector and thereby increase the total load (?) seen by
the injector driver.

Can anyone see why an 808 ecm would or wouldn't work when used in this way
??   I was thinking of using 6 Ohm resistors, which is what Nissan use in
conjunction with their 2.5 Ohm injectors.

Thanks

Steve Lamb
Department of Defence, DSTO
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer Street
Fishermans Bend  VIC 3207 Australia

Tel: +61 3 9626 7525
Fax: +61 3 9626 7089