Idle Learn, 747

rauscher at icst.com rauscher at icst.com
Wed Nov 25 19:00:13 GMT 1998

        Ok, lunch time, pull the ECM... Hmmm 1227730, oops, don't
        know why I thought it was a '737, at least I put a question
        mark after it. <g>

        It's an AZTY eprom. I'll get that to incoming soon.

        Did a little more research on the idle learn stuff. It apparently
        applies only to the 3.1L, VIN Code T. There was nothing about it
        for the 5.0 & 5.7L f-body's.

        To 'paraphrase' the Helm service manual ('92 version):

                Any time the battery is disconnected, the programmed
                position of the IAC valve pintle is lost and replaced
                with a "default" value. To return the IAC pintle to the
                correct position, perform the following procedure.

                The procedure, called the "quick-learn" Idle Learn
                Procedure, utilizes the capabilities of the Tech 1
                "Scan" tool.

        It then goes on about getting to the proper menu on the
        scan tool and following the directed instructions.

        The manual procedure takes about 20-30 minutes, and I'm
        still looking for it. I have it around somewhere. But,
        basically all you do is run the car at idle (DON'T TOUCH
        THE THROTTLE AT ALL), in drive, for an auto. When it
        stalls, you just start it again. Run it until the fan
        cycles on then off, shut off the engine, wait 5 minutes
        and restart it. Let idle until fan comes on again.

     >If this is engine code T, there are numerous updates on the prom
     >for that application.  I'd investigate that at a dealer, first.
     >BTW,
     >I don't show a 737 for that 3.1, what ecm does your have?.
     >Bruce

        Bruce, would you know if these releases were after the
        1992 year, or if the above mentioned is a 'decent' PROM?

    >> HMMM 3.1 T code for Camaro uses 730 ecm
    >>
    >> Like I am using now fer my PU with 4.3
    >>
    >> gl:
    >> Peter
    >>
    >> OH yes have same dumb blm probs.
    >>
    >> Had to modify pintle to get to idle right

     >>>full weeks worth of driving... This is on a '92
     >>> MPFI 3.1L Camaro. (A 1227737 ECM??).
     >>> Thanks,
     >>>  BobR.

     Thanks,