Injector control

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Nov 26 16:34:57 GMT 1998

Sure--adjusting fuel pressure will get you where you need to go to adjust
idle properly if you are stuck with big % steps in fuel delivery and pw at
idle. And this is a perfectly appropriate way to make do if tuning with a
cheap ecm (GM?).
My real points are:
That Hal-tek, Accel, and apparently Electromotive (see Espen's post) are
selling stuff that is nearly useless for street tuning if their pw
increment is 64 us!
That we should do our best to set the 332 project up to give really fine pw
increments--like 2us--there's certainly enough processore there to do that,
and this is a damn good reason to do so!!
That guys should be aware of the nature of the problem when deciding what
unit to spend their money on, and why they might just maybe want to spend
more!
That it is guaranteed that the only reason that GM spent the money to get
16 us pw increments (if that is really what they get) was idle emissions-if
they did not HAVE to have done it, they would not have!

I agree completely that mechanical injector (and fuel inertia) behavior
becomes a big factor at very short pw's, but without small enough pw
increment capability on the electronic side, we really do not have any kind
of an accurate idea of exactly HOW short a pulse is possible before that
factor takes over!

Given the large pw increment that the DFI/Accel ecu is stuck with, I quit
believing anything that they say about injector limitations!

Did not know that Bosch was making a PWM FPR--tell me more.

And tell Grumpy not to eat too much!!

Regards, Greg