knock sensor finally out

Andrew F. Gunnesch afgun at mongoose.dearborn.sgi.com
Fri Nov 27 23:17:04 GMT 1998

Well, today I went at the remains of the broken-off knock sensor
again.  Drilled it larger again (5/16"), cut it off with the dremel,
notched it again, hammer and chisel (OK, big screw driver) and it
didn't budge.  I ended up slotting it in a couple places with a
small saber saw blade crammed into an x-acto knife holder, then using
the hammer and chisel again.  Snapped part of it off!  But was finally
able to get a bite on it and turn it out.

New knock sensor in and the car reassembled, the thing finally shows
knock retard on my Diacom!

Next step is to do the valve stem seals to try and elminate some of the
knock (we suspect it's due to oil burning, and we hope that it isn't
bad rings on the rebuild!).  Since I'm looking at a set of roller rockers,
I'll hold off for a few days on the valve stem seals.

I guess tomorrow I'll get the dremel out and do some intake plenum
porting, and maybe install my cold air kit finally :)

Thanks for everybody's suggestions.  Bruce P. I'll have that promised
diacom run for you in an email once I get my laptop brought inside.

--Andrew