Mopar 8-bolt truck cranks (somewhat off-EFI-topic)

Charles charlesmorris at erols.com
Mon Nov 30 23:00:06 GMT 1998

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 05:00:01 -0500, you wrote:

> Flywheels/flexplates for the eight bolt units are tough to find.
>
>And just to reconfirm why Chrysler nearly went broke

	I think it was the termination of the Dart/Valiant and
replacement with the awful Volare/Aspen...

>hemis used an eight bolt crank flange, but it does not stick out
>as far as the eight bolt flange on truck motors.

	I have one of those truck cranks. Sold to me by a guy who may
well have known better - I thought I just needed a Hemi flywheel.

Wrong!

	After a lot of research, I found out (and had it confirmed by
Herb McCandless who knows just about everything there is to know about
Mopars) that the ONLY transmission that fits this crank is an
iron-case (read: really heavy) automatic, which came with the '61 and
'62 413 trucks. Maybe a couple of other years. There is no
manual-trans flywheel or bellhousing that properly lines up, if I
remember right, unless there's an early-60's part also.

	You probably don't want one of those cranks, but if you do please
e-mail me off-list. I also have a '63 413 block, by the way. No, not a
Max Wedge block.

Charles