6502

goflo at pacbell.net goflo at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 1 21:43:16 GMT 1998

$.02 more, if you don't mind - You can build a very respectable
processor with
discrete logic - It's not as daunting a task as you might think. The
limiting
factor in the days before cheap LSI was memory, especially RAM -
Expensive and
power-hungry. This was true from vacuum tube computers right on through
the '70s.

Intel originally developed the 4004 under contract to a Japanese
calculator company.
Somewhat later they negotiated a license to sell it on their own hook,
feeling that
its potential use in what are now called microcontroller applications
would enhance
memory sales (Intel's primary business then). Boy, were they right.

The latest 2 Gig Wazooium MMX II is awesome, but the real marvel is that
$40
32 meg SIMM ...