6502 chip

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Fri Oct 2 01:35:50 GMT 1998

I disassembled a TTL computer that was sometime around 1974 built.

It had 4 - 74181 (4 bit very simple slice proceeor) at its center and a
massive pile of 74 and 74H series logic around it.  The cooling fan for it
used almost as much power as some of the desktop systems we have today (55W),
the power for the entire computer (very simple computer) was I believe about
1500W, it generated alot of heat, and it was big, bulky, and probably a very
simple computer that was not really useable to run a car or really anything
else very complicated.  I think the whole computer unit probably weighted 200
lbs as was probably on the same calibar as a 6502 or 68HC11 speed wise.
I seem to remeber that it had 16k (an entire board the size of todays
motherboards, completely stuffed with memory chips, and addressing logic).

It was not really something that would be useable for EFI, especially since
the chips that made up the cpu board proabably cost $1+ each, and there
were several hundred, maybe into the low thousands that made up what would
probably have been an equivalent to the <1Mhz processors that easily fit
on a single chip now.

				Roger