6502 chip

mrvette mrvette at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 2 14:48:16 GMT 1998

Well, since my last formal computer training, on IBM 360,  back 30 years ago,
called 'puters 101 or something like that...:-)))       I had assumed the
development of the 6500 series chips was doe for the moon landings,   seems that
didn't take place untill several years later....
so the gear on the moon probe was what today would be referred to as
discrete....piles of transistors/diodes/ some 5400 series gates   etc. (I had
forgotten about 5400 series being the original # sequence in an earlier post)

What is interesting to me is the use of proprietary chip numbers in the early
Bendix DPFI units done for Caddy .....They probably started r/d for Caddy back
around '72-73  or so,  the first units didn't appear untill '75 or so....

So the development of what today is common chip technology really wasn't used in
the Apollo program....interesting....I had heard the impetus for that i/c
development was done specifically for the Apollo program...was desperately
needed,   and that the 6500 series chips were the first civilian uses for this
technology....

I started to see chips appear in TV's   around '71 or 72.....I used to be a
chief TV tech and shop mgr.   decades ago....:-)))      GENE
--

Fun under the sun in          //~~~~~~~~~~~~\\