Pricing

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Fri Oct 2 19:20:39 GMT 1998

FWIW, gm uses a minimum suggested retail price.  Meaning the
dealer can discount or make up, anyway they want.  Lots, of
dealers used to use normal list X 2.  That is why they have such
a reputation for price gouging.  Lots of parts folks, would rather
sell 1/2 as much at twice the mark up.  It seems to be changing
a little, but it's a slow change.
    One other factor about pricing is that often the part/service
departments pay the overhead for the entire store, so that all the
new/used car sales are profit.  Makes for easy book keeping.
    So if your ever going to need genuine brand x parts take the
parts manager to lunch or something, Before ya need a favor.
Then don't abuse things, ie if you get a discount find out if it's
OK to pass along.  Like I can get a good price when I order stuff
that can get placed on a stock order, but that means I might
wait 30-40 days for it.  Otherwise, I pay normal list.  Or if doing
a big buy, I get a good price, but I tell the parts guy what the deal
is.
   Then the local parts house owner happens to like having his
pulling tractor run right, and I help him.
   So there are good prices to be had, but the more actively you
pursue them, the better they get.
   Just my .000002 cents worth.
Cheers
  Bruce