Even I have trouble with this one

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Oct 8 13:40:39 GMT 1998

><big snip>
>
>> Another interesting aspect of the ZR1's ecu is as follows: I have heard
>> tell that it keeps track of the number of times that the car exceeds 100
>> and 150 mph, and for how long each time, somewhere in its innards.
>> Apparently GM has, upon occasion, recovered this info from Vette ecu's in
>> order to encourage plaintiffs in nasty lawsuits to settle quietly and
>> cheaply. If the ZR1 ecu is indeed a close relative to other units, it would
>> be VERY interesting indeed to determine whether this kind of potentially
>> extremely embarrassing ecu memory ability extends across the board!
>
>Some ABS units remember some embarrasing stuff.  So do airbag control
>units, but only during a crash.
>

>> ----Hey, Code Dudes--a bit of code with which to rewrite this stuff, if it
>> exists, might be VERY marketable , indeed!!! Might even make someone the
>> kind of money Cincinnati Microwave has made over the years!! THEY ARE
>> WATCHING, YOU KNOW!! Someday Al may want to make reading this part of your
>> ecu's memory a part of your annual emissions check-up--you know--just to
>> see whether you are one of those bad guys who is helping to melt all the
>> glaciers!!!
>
>Worse yet, when you get off the highway your ECM will be "connected" to
>a state computer which checks things such as speeds and driving habits,
>and automatically issues tickets.  Always wondered if anyone traveling
>the toll roads was issued a ticket based on the times printed on the
>toll ticket.
>
>Shannen

I have heard stories, but never seen a ticket. When I lived in the people's
republic of N.Y., I used to rub the printing off the (punch card) tickets,
turn an edge or two with a fingernail, and fold, spindle or mutilate (never
carried a stapler)! Usually tried to make one gas stop to kill the average
a bit when feeling particularly paranoid.

The radio communication thing is closer than you think. They are putting it
in under the guise of warning "authorities" of a car-jacking and its
whereabouts, and the whereabouts of a stolen car, and navigation. Not too
big a jump from navigation to intgrating speed, independent of vehicle
sensors. I know a guy today who is selling hardware which would be able to
page the nearest Smokey--at his desk--whenever you speed. He is selling his
stuff RIGHT NOW for things like monitoring oil patch equipment and railroad
reefer cars, but GM is hot and heavy after him. The upside of this to me
is--given law enforcement's taste for doughnuts-- that perhaps this stuff
will get more of their lazy butts (and their radar, lasers, and Vascar) off
of OUR roads, and those of us who figure out how to execute stealth ecm
(electronic counter measures, not engine control modules) can be freer than
before!