motorcycle intake manifold

Jake Sternberg chickens at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 9 05:36:02 GMT 1998

i'm making my first intake for my motorcycle (1100cc four) out
of 1.5" steel tube, so it's easier to weld it all together.
Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

I plan to put short pieces of thinwall tube for the injectors;
the O-ring will go in this tube but not necessarily seal, instead
the injector will be sealed and held in place by a piece of rubber
hose and a hose clamp.  the outside diameter of the tube it sticks
into will be the same as the diameter of the injectors' shoulder
so one hose clamp should be wide enough to make the seal.

the injectors will aim about 25 degrees upward of horizontal, and
they'll be under the pipes leading to the ports.  I thought about
the possibility of fuel collecting in the bung around the injector
at times but i dont think this should be a big deal.  am i wrong?

As for the fuel rail, it's about 1/2" diameter steel tubing and I
plan to hacksaw it into four T-shaped pieces and connect them to
each other with 1/2" rubber fuel hose and hose clamps to get the
right spacing.  They won't have barbs, but i can coarsely sand
the ends of the tubing so the hose can stick better.  Should this
be okay up to about 50-60 PSI pressures?  the rail pieces will
be held onto the injectors with the original steel clips.

and is there any reason an oil pressure transducer can't be used
as a fuel pressure transducer?  I want to be able to monitor fuel
pressure with an LED bar graph over an adjustable range.

thanks everyone,
-jake

oh yeah, enough with the ZL-1 stuff okay? <duck>