Cheap O2 Sensors and reference air

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 10 08:29:20 GMT 1998

> >If the wires are properly crimped you will not loose the reference atmospheric
> >air inside the wires.   Jim
>
> So that's where the fool things get their reference air--I'd been wondering!!!!

Pull back the wire heat sheath and look at top of sensor
you will see that wires or not sealed were they enter the sensor,
there is a gap for air to enter.  To block air, you would have to
seal the heat sheath to the sensor with a high temp. sealant and use
a air tight shrink wrap over the wires and conections, then evacuate
the wire housing and leave at vacuum or fill with inert gas.
You could try other gases to recalibrate the sensor.
It does not matter what type of connection you use, I would recommend
high temp. and not silicone sealer.
I have found it a little difficult to solder the O2 wires, they seem
to be high temp. A very hot iron and different flux % could help.
alex