High idle after start

Jason Weir Jweir at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 10 15:59:19 GMT 1998

Ludis Langens wrote:

> I guess I wasn't quite clear.  The ECM does look for a specific warm
> idle rpm, ~700 rpm in your case.  It remembers the IAC position that
> produces this rpm.  On the next engine start, to obtain a high idle
> with
> the cold engine, the IAC is opened some preprogrammed number of steps
> beyond the remembered position.  Hence, the fast (cold) idle rpm is
> not
> controlled to a specific rpm.  This is why one car has an initial idle
>
> of 1000 rpm, while the next one jumps to 1100 rpm.

Ok, maybe I am just confused but this makes no sense to me at all...
given this scenerio... 700 rpm warm idle @ 10 IAC counts... On cold
startup ECM adds x-number of IAC counts to the learned value of 10 to
obtain the fast idle... so far so good.. So this would lead me to
believe that if you had 700 rpm warm idle @ 50 IAC counts the ECM is
still going to add the same x-number of IAC counts right? or is "x" a
percentage of the learned warm idle counts?  My cold idle decreases with
an increase in warm IAC counts....  anybody, anybody?

--
Jason Weir
88 Wrangler - 258 Chevy TBI
mailto:jweir at att.net