GM water pump

Martin Powlette marquise at candw.lc
Mon Oct 12 22:40:44 GMT 1998

I have copied a mail I just sent to 2 of the other guys
Thanks for your reply Todd & Joe. The engine does carry a serpentine belt and
auto tensioner.  The fan clutch and hub are all brand new because there was a
slight wobble from the last pump.  The engine does have antifreeze and the fan
looks ok, revets and all.  The correct pump issue is one I will have to double
check but I would hate to think that even with the Vin # the dealer is giving me
the wrong pump not once but three times.  Foreign matter maybe but to destroy a
seal in first one week and the last 2 days why???
You must be and if you are familiar with the intake gaskets for theV8 5.7L
engine it reads this side up and there is a tin strip that is suppose to fit
over the rear coolant passages.  What if, just what if it is placed on the front
passages instead ??.(intake was taken off by another mechanic once) Seeing that
a water pump is a positive displacement pump more rpm more pressure if the
coolant passage is blocked at the manifold and the pressure creates a build up
the seal  maybe the the point of least resistance and leak.  I am just trying
interlectual speculation if there is such a thing.  The vehicle is no more than
5years, How much foreign matter can be in there unless it was deliberate???  Joe
added the heater element...  the heater core was leaking now bypassed and simply
routed right back into the manifold, so from the rad and into the
manifold...point, point ! Joe but When an engine is overheating the cap releases
the pressure long before any seal, so shouldn't the cap blow the presssure
before the seal in the pump if it is a pressure issue.  Check what is the
closest point to the waterpump outlet and if it is the coolant passage going
into the manifold maybe, just maybe the gasket issue.
Thanks for your time Todd and Joe  Keep in touch and give me your thoughts I am
lost for ideas myself.

Martin