emulator question

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Oct 13 02:22:02 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Jake Sternberg <chickens at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
To: diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Monday, October 12, 1998 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: emulator question

Can't say I know anyone that has run without the steam holes.  Everyone
winds up R+Ring the heads to vent em.  With air trapped around the top
of the cylinder bores, the ring seal goes away.    {last occurance 60 days
ago}.
   If you want to fill the lower 2/3 of the cylinders with concrete fine,
but the
top but needs to get rid of heat.  Same with the coolant around the intake
valves, but the ex valve area has to be able to get rid of heat.  If ya can
get
rid if the localizedhot spots-that is truely neat.  It's the lack of hot
spots
that makes most of the difference in my book.  Yes there is a slight %
of effeci, to be gained, but jeez there are easier ways to get it.
   If your racing F1 go for it but on a street motor this is getting to be
a real project for maybe a slight increase.
   I'm as odd as they come for running at 190dF.  I also run a thermostat,
and a 1/2" spacer plate that is machined like a thernostat gasket.  Under
that I run a Moroso Restrictor disc.  I experiment with the disc opening
to keep the flow just high enough that temps don't get out of hand at
sustained WOT.  Usually 5/8" opening with 3  1/4" holes.
  I'm sure someone with say that won't/can't/ work or this idea of "mine" is
better. The above is what works for me.
  I'd worry more about finding a recirculating thermostat up to the flow of
what you need, and get a couple free ponies that way.
  If these are a production cylinder head (the AL), I'd worry about the
valve seats falling out from the thermal cycling at these high temps.
  AL walks around pretty good.
Cheers
Bruce