300 degree COOLANT

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 13 02:56:23 GMT 1998

At 10:02 PM 10/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't GM say not to use propylene glycol
>antifreeze in their engines?

Nope... In fdact, I believe it was late 1995 early 1996, GM started using
"Dex-Cool" in all their vehicles (100,000 mile extended life coolant).  It
is Propylene Glycol based.  If you mix the Propylene Glycol based coolant
with the Ethylene Glycol coolant it will gel and basically plug the coolant
passages of the engine.  Best to start with the PG based or flush the heck
out of it... Also, GM recomends using distilled water with the PG coolant
as the minerals in tap water can reduce the life of it as well.
Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
                     We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!