emulator question

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Oct 13 03:50:30 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: David A. Cooley <n5xmt at bellsouth.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Monday, October 12, 1998 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: emulator question

>Well,
>It's a proven fact that Gas engines make more power the cooler they are...

Nope, I've done back to back testing and when optimized the
performance is the same, or within my level of driving being the
same.    Less blow-by do to tighter piston+ring sealing.  Maybe
on a carbed engine, where the fuel sits around heat soaking in the float
bowl.  Maybe do to lower under hood temp., but when these
are eliminated in testing I'll stand by what I say.

>Allowing the engine to rise to 300 degrees will result in massive amounts
>of detonation and require the timing to be retarded to the point you make
>very little power.  That's why performance chips also reccomend you add a
>cooler thermostat.

NOPE,  with a aujp (92 Firebird v-8 calibration) the 160dF gets
you in round numbers 6% more fuel, and 2 degrees less timing,
this I have documented on my bench ecm.

If after you replace the chip with the stock one quite often there
is the same performance gain.  The hypo chip might be nothing
more than a lower enable temp for TCC lockup......

 Allows them to run more timing/boost (super/turbo
>charged engines).

Well, this is a matter of some debate.  The high timing chips
are losing favor on the GN List, and over at syty it seems to
be the same.  On NA engines I've looked at some aftermarket
chips and they didn't impress me.  Some examples are

$300 custom chip for larger injectors,  all that was done EGR Off.
$150 chip uses 160dF thermostat, lowered TCC to 130ish.

One chip had to retard timing 4d to stop triggering knock sensor,
looked at table, he had added 6, advancing timing 2d would have
done the same thing.
Bruce

  Higher temps will also make the oil lose it's viscosity
>faster and contaminate faster.

You can run too hot of oil temps at 160dF Coolant temp