emulator question

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Oct 13 14:17:43 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: David A. Cooley <n5xmt at bellsouth.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 1998 12:53 AM
Subject: Re: emulator question

Not being EFI which is where we're at I'm not going to comment
on your 1st example.

>2nd car was a 1985 Buick Regal T-Type with multiple mods... Same chip for
>both tests and again,

By using the same chip, means that nothing was optimized for
that operating temp..  I've already said the base oem cal is 6%
richer, and has 2 degrees less timing.  Try running a 190 thermostat
but with a 270ohm resistor in line with the coolant temp senor.
Better yet, get turbolink/diacom, or a scan tool, and burn some of
your own chips.

Have you done any duct work for the intake air so as to make it not
related to under hood temp?.

same weather (2 back to back weekends) 14.10's at
>88MPh with the factory 180 thermostat and with the 160 stat, 13.42
@100.5MPh.
>On both the SyTy and GN list, with identical chips and identical weather
>conditions, the cooler the coolant, the more HP and better the times are.

I consider my testing as almost "good", and had 1/2-3/4hr in air
differences.  Weekend to weekend could be more than you
imagine.  Do you carry a air density guage?.

>Now if you could totally isolate the intake manifold from engine heat, the
>differences would probably be negligible, but as the air heats up on the
>way to the cylinders it becomes less dense, so less air gets into the
>cylinder.

The intake air charge spends about .005 sec in the intact tract,
how much difference do you think being exposed to a wall 30d
different in temp really means.

 Less air means either the mixture richens, or the ECM leans it,