Engine Operating Temps

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Wed Oct 14 07:12:59 GMT 1998

<< Subj:	 Engine Operating Temps
 Date:	98-10-13 00:40:01 EDT
 From:	romans at pacbell.net (Mark Romans)
 Sender:	owner-diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
 Reply-to:	diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
 To:	diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu

 I disagree about the cooler the more power.  Read Smokey Yunicks
 "Power Secrets" Book.  I originally did the cooler thermostat stuff.  That
 is fine on the dyno,  however on the street in the summer with the ac on I
 have been unable to keep the car that cool. It runs at 220 deg f.  So I
 tuned it to run at that temp.  Pulled some timing out of the map.  Smokey
 says the engine will make 3% more power at 210 deg f. than at a lower temp.
 EFI also allows you to run the max advance and control fuel distribution
 with a nice hot engine.  Before I put the headers on it did 290 hp at the
 rear wheels and it runs a LOT better now.  @ 195 deg f minimum.   Buy the
 book.  Smokey is a very smart guy.
 Mark

Hiya Mark,
       I still stand behind my statement....if controlled,heat is
energy...energy is horsepower.......
-Carl Summers