any boaters out there?

mrvette mrvette at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 16 22:58:08 GMT 1998

Steve Ravet wrote:

> mrvette wrote:
> >
> > Ok,  first off I wuld go direct port injection, assuming you can get a factory
> > manifold to do it easily....
>
> Why is that?  I was thinking TBI since it's more of a bolt-on as far as
> replacing the carb.  Also, no high pressure fuel to worry about, etc.
> Even TBI would be a big step up from the carb that's on there.  Plus, I
> don't know if I can get a TBI manifold.  I'm not even sure what kind of
> block it is  :-)

Well if I decide to do something as complicated as this, I preferr to do it all
the way.....get the max performance.....TBI   IS  a good improvement though....

> > the metal parts subject to corosion  (steel, iron)  have to be coated to prevent
> > this, and constantly looked after....I used Krylon crystal clear spray can
> > paint.....laasted for 3 years that I had the boat...outdoor storage....
>
> Is corrosion a problem w/freshwater boats?  That's probably a dumb
> question.

Depends o your climate....it's the condensate on cold steel from the hi humidity
in the atmosphere that does it.....You will see....if your way south it's not so
bad, but that effect is tstill there....You would be amazed how wet it is...just
dripping,  looks like it was just sprayed with a garden hose...no shit....

> > You have to use Aeroquip double meshed wall fireproof fual hose rated to  real
> > hi poundage/pressure...~200psi?
>
> The gas tank is right there, I'll probably just use bent flared steel
> line throughout.

Solid line of ANY type will anneal itself to being brittle and snap...from
vibration.....believe me on this....your life is at stake....as you hopefully
know, a boat will explode in a second or less.....fumes.....

> > you have to either have a fire supresor,  look at your carb supressor...it's not
> > an aircleaner,  it's a steel screen/mesh arrangement...in case of backfire/fumes
> > in the hold.....or a metal tubing going outboard for air induction,   this is
> > matal throughout...no hose clamps,    I used flexible exhaust tubing, stainless,
> > put a screen on the intake to keep out bugs....:-)))
>
> Did you just run it thru the transom?  That sounds better to me than the
> flame arrester that's on there now.

It is an accepted technique by the USCG...Cosat guard and Boating Ind. Assn.
cooperate on boat design.....I'd put the air intake on the side toward the rear
in one of the vents,  with a rear facing scoop....

this keeps water out of it in case of slowing rapidly......

have fun and good luck....GENE