any boaters out there?

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sat Oct 17 01:28:58 GMT 1998

>Solid line of ANY type will anneal itself to being brittle and snap...from
>vibration....
------------------

A physical (or at least linguistic) impossibility--annealing is a SOFTENING
process, which leaves a metal more resistant to vibration cracking. It is
so-called strain HARDENING, often the result of vibration which is one
potential precursor to cracking. As long as there are flexible hoses at the
places where flexing takes place, hard lines of the correct material should
be OK.

BUT: be aware that chloride ions (as exist in large quantities in salt
water) attack stainless in a way that encourages pitting everywhere and the
initiation of "stress corrosion cracking" at locations of high stress. This
has virtually nothing to do with strain hardening, to which most stainless
alloys are nearly immune. Does not matter whether you use hard lines or
braided hose, chloride will attack if they are stainless.

 There is a good reason why alloys such as admiralty brass and cupro-nickel
have been developed. Some titanium alloys are also excellent in salt water
environments, and relatively immune to strain hardening as well. I would
suggest some research in Coast Guard safety pubs, or maybe Lloyd's (of
London) also has some published material on the subject. What looks sharp
(and works decently) on a race car may well not be at all correct or safe
for use on a boat.

Scuse the rants tonight, but I guess my urge to see us be technically
correct is the counterweight for my frequently overpowering urges to be
politically incorrect!!!

Regards, Greg