Injectors and ECMs

Ron Gregory rgregory at chrysalis.org
Mon Oct 19 16:54:59 GMT 1998

I have a buddy that has gone completely overboard with
his Syclone.  We are now running out of injector.  He
wants to go with huge injectors.  He also wants to go with
the new Felpro SEFILO8 ECM, because the guy that sold
him his camshaft said the stock ECM wouldn't work....
I want to prove him wrong by using the stock ECM and
maybe he'll give me some of the $2400 for helping....

We are working on a GMC Syclone... using the
Delco 1227749 ECM.  This is the same ECM that was
used on the '87-90 turbo 2.0 'M' cars [Sunbird].  This
ECM has two injector drivers, but from what I've
already learned, it only uses one injector driver.
So, does that mean that all six injectors are fired at once,
or does that one driver fire for each bank????

Does anyone know if the turbo S-bird only used one driver, too?
Or did it use both... and had different wiring... some pins the Sy
doesn't use...

My buddy just bought a set of six 55 lb/hr Seimans low-ohm
fuel injectors [cheaper than a set of MSD high-ohm injectors]...
yes... *before* I got all the answers... as usual...
Someone [a turbo Regal expert] told him that all he had to
do was swap-out the injector drivers.... maybe for a GN, but
I doubt a Syclone... noone listens to me...

Are low-ohm drivers intended to drive only one injector?
Is it true that the low-ohm injectors are more stable... flow more
predictably?
Would it be worth the effort to build a small interface board to
drive those low-ohm injectors via the current driver on the
ECM?  What would that buy us?

Would putting that 10-ohm resistor on each low-ohm injector
buy us anything other than the ability to use the injectors that
he already bought... if that?

I don't have [any of] the answers... please help...
[pick all tha apply]

*  get high-ohm injectors, 'cause they aren't bad
*  go with Felpro ECM and low-ohm injectors
*  build a board to drive low-ohm injectors with
   GM ECM..
*  check caller-ID box and don't answer the phone
   any more when that clown calls back

Thanks,
~~~~~~
Ron Gregory                 Syclone VIN #1452
rgregory at iname.com          Garland, TX