return line to gas tank

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Mon Oct 19 21:26:52 GMT 1998

I think you may want to address two different aspects, when designing your
TBI recirculating fuel system.  You want to create a replenishing reservoir
(dam) around your in-tank fuel pump pickup point in order to prevent
starvation during braking and cornering.  However, you should always keep
the return line discharge as far away from the pump pickup point as
possible.  In fact,  you should make sure that the return line extends to
the floor area of the tank and discharges away from the pump pickup.  If you
don't,  then you will have a lot of trouble with foaming, hot fuel, and
vapor related issues.  When possible, it is always best to use an in-tank
fuel pump with strainer sock.   OEM's often try to isolate the hot return
fuel, from the rest of the bulk fuel, in order to improve evaporative
emissions.  However, I would think that you would be more interested in
cool, bubble free fuel.  Bye.................