return line to gas tank

Steve Ravet steve.ravet at arm.com
Mon Oct 19 22:48:04 GMT 1998

mrvette wrote:

> Nah, I can attest with my'72 vette that the reutren line on a full tank of gas
> tends to heat up the gas, and expand the tank, forcing a leak conditon....when
> the tank is somewhat enptied,  the fumes disappear....
> believe me I have monitored this condition VERY carefully over the 3 years this
> mod with DPFI has been in effect, and tried all sorts of thigs....it's not
> really a leak, just escaping fumes...a real pain in the ass....you know the cold
> gas goes through the warming of the FI rails on the engine, and goes back heated
> to the tank,  gradually it all heats up, and forces gasses to escape,,.....the
> old type of evap canister, allthough operationg correctly is not up to the job,
> hence the late model FI cars have a bunch of capillary tubes in the system...
> a real weird piece of engineering, of which I have no knowledge....
> anyone out there who knows of these things....?

The regulator has to be able to bleed off fuel in order to maintain the
correct pressure.  What do you do with that fuel?  It has to get
recirculated to someplace before the pump intake, which means the gas
tank if you have an in-tank pump.  Have you tried a cannister system
from a late model car?

--steve

--
Steve Ravet