return line to gas tank

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Tue Oct 20 00:36:12 GMT 1998

In a message dated 98-10-19 20:02:52 EDT, mrvette at bellsouth.net writes:

>..I tried to recirculate the
>fuel by a reverse system, feeding into the suction line, and it did not
>work...engine ran ok, but pump was in obvious distress, listening to it run,
>so
>I put the return into the tank, as per normal, and have tolerated the
>problems
>previously mentioned...GENE

I don't have the original post about the vette tank.  Was it over flowing
after a run with a freshly topped off tank?

Many/all FI cars have a large air space in the tank, even when filled up.
Take a look at a FI tank, you will see the fill pipe and vent pipe extended
into the tank.  The end of the pipes are below the top of the tank limiting
the fuel fill by traping a air pocket.

>From what I remember, the vette ( 72? ) gas fill is directly on the top of the
tank.  Adding a 2"-3" sleeve inside the fill neck should limit the fuel
capacity.

Remember the early eightys when the Ford ambulances spilled fuel and burst
into flames?  This was caused by high under body temps, not enough expansion
space in the tank and the tendency for over filling by the ambulance drivers.

Harold