return line to gas tank

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Tue Oct 20 03:03:54 GMT 1998

I think there was some confusion.  All I was trying to say was to discharge
the return fuel below the liquid level line most commonly in the tank, and
make sure that the discharge was not pointed right at the pickup.  Of course
the fuel tank must be able to either vent to the atmosphere, or to a
charcoal evaporative cannister.  Otherwise a pressure build-up will occur.
You are right, GM does not do this in a lot of cases, but often this has
been to accommodate efficient manufacturing and assembly (IMHO).  Think
about it, why would you want to immediately recycle hot, aerated fuel back
to the engine?  By the way what is the reverse system you describe?  Sounds
funny.