charcoal canisters

Steve Ravet steve.ravet at arm.com
Tue Oct 20 21:01:11 GMT 1998

James Weiler wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Steve Ravet wrote:
>
> > mrvette wrote:
> > >
> > > No the canister systems are either built into the tank or of an arrangement they
> > > won't fit an earlier tank...so I just live with the suden loss/power when under
> >
> > All it takes is the right fittings on the tank, and an ECM that knows
> > how to control the cannister, AFAIK.  If you have an in-tank pump, you
> > must have a pickup with the right fittings for the cannister, don't you?
> >
> > --steve
> Ok this is a good question.  I have a new tank that has never seen gas so
> if I'm going to add any fittings (i.e. welding) now would be the best time.
> I'm working with an EEC-IV and it does do canister purge so maybe I can head
> a potential problem off at the pass by adding these connectors now.
> This leads me to my question.  Can you offer any advice as to what type
> of connectors I should be using?
> Any advice on this at all actually.
> I'll get a canister and tubing from a wrecker and go from there I guess.
> thanks in advance
> jw

There's a picture of an S-10 gas tank in the JTR S-10 book.  It shows 4
hose barbs coming off the sending unit.  There's a 3/8 for fuel to the
engine, 5/16 for return fuel, 1/4 for charcoal cannister, and it doesn't
say what the 4th is for.  I had my tank out once upon a time, and I
can't remember myself what it was connected to.  Get yerself a service
manual, I'm sure the answer is in there.  BTW, those are regular hose
barbs, with regular rubber fuel line, and regular hose clamps *duck*.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com