return line to gas tank

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Wed Oct 21 05:06:12 GMT 1998

Here's a thought.
The regulator can be mounted on the tank, especially if it is a simple
spring type like the TBI units.  The regulator is mounted to a tee
which vents the majority of the fuel back to the tank without ever
reaching the engine.  But this leaves a dead end at the far side of
the fual rail, and no way to purge vapor.  (Vapor will form, in hot
climates, high loads, and especially engine off hot soak.)  So, a
small bleed line returns some fuel from the rail to the tank.  Sure it
will absorb some heat, but it will be far less than the traditional
system we're familiar with.  The part that needs figuring out (Gee
Whiz engineering for me) is correct bleed tube size for sufficient
fuel at WOT.  Since I'm not familiar with fuel pump #'s I can't say
whether or not a stock capacity pump could handle this.  At this point
I'd bet so.

BTW, the returnless EFI systems typically run higher pressures.  My
opinion is that the pressure increase is an attempt to overcome vapor
problems.
Shannen