Small Injectors

Crane, Damien d3c at TENNANTCO.com
Wed Oct 21 20:43:37 GMT 1998

If I may interject...

Honda has their VTEC (Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control)
system that allows them to run two completely different cam profiles in the
same engine.  The valves are operated by very short rocker arms and the cams
have an extra lobe for each pair of valves with a rocker arm that isn't
directly acting on any valves.  At a specified engine speed (5500rpm in the
Type R) the computer signals an oil pressure activated piston to lock the
normal rocker arm to the special extra one following the third cam lobe
thereby enabling that lobe (the profile of which is naturally very radical)
to now control the valve actuation.  The US specs are 195hp @ 8000.  Idle is
perfectly smooth, low speed response and torque is normal (for a 110 cid
engine) and EPA ratings are very good.  It is a wonderfully versatile (but
expensive to build) engine.