Haltech F3 issues

Eddie Pylant epylant at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 21 23:46:12 GMT 1998

Hello, my name is Eddie and I'm new the diy-efi list. My current project
involves a Haltech F3 on a GM TPI intake. I bought the F3 used, and it seems
to be quite versatile- unfortunately, the harness is somewhat hacked, and it
is missing the TPS, MAT and coolant temp sensors. Haltech told me their F3
ECU was incompatible with the GM temp sensors (on the good side, they said
GM TPS sensor would work just fine), and to make bad news worse, the temp
sensors were $58 a piece! I've already been through the diy-efi message
archives looking for any information regarding the sensors- has anyone been
able to confirm what the make/model of the sensor it is? Shelling out $116
for a few temp sensors is absurd! I guess I'll find out soon enough, but
will the F3 ECU operate w/o the two sensors?

Also, I need a few hints on the wiring harness- the only wires I haven't
identified are for the TPS, MAT, and coolant temp sensor. There is a
purple/black pair that runs to a AMP connector (must be for one of the
temperature sensors, but which one?), then I've got 5 other wires that are
part of the sensor harness, all are cut: two blacks (grounds?), a gray (not
to be confused with the 12v switched wire), an orange, and a white wire. I
assume that the TPS (3 wire) and the other temp sensor (2 wire) each have a
ground (black) wire, but where do the other 3 wire go (which colors belong
to which sensors?)?

Thanks!
Eddie