O2 sensor oscillations

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 22 03:23:55 GMT 1998

At 08:08 PM 10/21/98 -0700, you wrote:
>OK, Here's a question:
> I read that, while in closed loop - the voltage on the O2 sensor is
>supposed to cross 0.45 at some particular rate.
>
> Are these crossings producted by "puffs" of exhaust going across, or is
>the ECU intentionally running lean-rich-lean-rich-lean in order to keep
>the avg mix (over time) "centered" on the ideal?

The ecu goes lean-rich-lean-rich.  The ECU usually just looks for
conditions the engine is hot and then looks to make sure the O2 sensor
doesn't stay rich or lean for a specific length of time... if it stays
greater than the time set in the Prom Calibration, then it set's a code.

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.