Small injectors

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Thu Oct 22 17:06:31 GMT 1998

> > On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, mrvette wrote:
> >
> > I find it somewhat amazing that even with 35 years of development work
> > it's still very difficult to find a factory production engine capable
> > of making one hp. per cubic inch....about ~80 percent of that goal is

Ok we got the part where 1.6l is about 100ci. Math, it happens to the
best of us.

Toyota stuff is all I really know about, a couple data points:

The "small-port" 4A-GE (1.6l 4cyl, 16 valve) turns 130-140HP depending
on emissions trim. Redline is roughly 7500, CR roughly 10:1, this was a
1991+ engine. (I think some Geo models used it.)

A newer 20 valve 4A-GE version, with variable valve timing, ~11:1 CR and
redline ~ 8000 turns 160HP. So far this is a JDM-only engine. I'm sure it
would lose a few HP in Fed/CA emissions trim.

The other thing is Toyota is hardly known for high specific output. A
bunch of Honda motors do a lot better, but then again, you can boost
most stock-internals Toy engines to a point that would blow a similar
Honda engine into metal shavings.

> Euro BMW M3's for instance have 321HP out of 3.2 litre that's over
> 100 HP/litre in a production engine. 3.2 litre = 195 ci gives 1.64 hp/ci.

There are a few streetable, street-legal, mass production, Fed or
CA emissions legal engines that hit 100HP/liter. I think most of them
have some variable cam timing mechanism though. The Toys I know of do,
several Honda motors do, and I'm pretty sure the BMW engine mentioned
above does (VANOS?). (The US M3 uses a different engine and gear ratios,
supposedly the Euro version would have been US$10k more expensive
mostly due to the extra cost of the engine.)

   Chris C.