Low Idle w/ Saturn tuned port EFI.

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 26 12:32:21 GMT 1998

At 07:11 AM 10/26/98 -0500, you wrote:

>off completely.  Nothing.  Then I disconnected the IAC with the idle screw
>completely backed off (and this is what's got me thinking).  This thing
>idles at about 2500 with no IAC and no idle screw setting!  The IAC is
>actually REDUCING the RPM.  Geez, I can feel you guys out there on the floor
>rolling in uncontrolled laughter.  Go for it!  Just give me the answer!

Rick,
There is usually a base idle procedure for setting idle with the screw...
On my 85 buick GN, you had to short pins A&B of the diagnostic connector,
turn the key on for 30 seconds and while the key was still on, disconnect
the IAC.  Then turn the key off, unshort the diag connector pins and start
the car.  This made the IAC motor retract fully.  I'm sure Saturn has a
procedure in their service manual.  Probably called base idle air adjust or
something similar.
Since it seems to idle up when you disconnect the IAC, the IAC and drivers
seem ok.
The trouble code probably came from the iac making small adjustments and
the ecm seeing no change.
IAC passages plug up with carbon and crud over time from PCV and EGR.  Best
bet is to remove the IAC and clean the throttle body and all the passages
in it with carb cleaner then give it another whirl.

Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.