Low Idle w/ Saturn tuned port EFI.

Jemison Richard JemisonR at tce.com
Mon Oct 26 16:13:47 GMT 1998

Shannon,

Thanks for the input and no I don't have access to a scan tool at this time
(I have no idea which one would even connect up to a Saturn ECU).

The adjustment I speak of the initial adjustment on the plunger.  The
instructions that came with the unit specifically stated that the plunger
being extended > 1" (could have been 1.1 - whatever)  could damage the unit
and stated to check this value and adjust as necessary.  I was right on the
limit as it came out of the box and so did not adjust the unit at all.

I've always heard that the IAC "kicks" the idle up to compensate for varying
conditions (temp, accessories, etc).  What I saw was with no IAC control the
idle was about 2500.  With the IAC it dropped to like 500 rpm (and yes this
is a problem as I cannot run my air or the car will die and the car barely
runs at the current idle).  So, I reasoned that the IAC was actually (in a
controlling manner) adjusting the idle as necessary from some initial high
value (in this case 2500 rpm).  So, if the IAC is adjustable (and I don't
know the limits to this adjustment) it might be possible to retract the
plunger (and I'm assuming here) increasing the idle rpm.

Got a response (you can probably see it) from David Cooley in which he
states there is a base idle procedure.  It may be that I simply haven't
"set" the idle correctly.  So I'm gonna go back through my book and check
this out.

Do you have any idea what kinds of scan tools would work with a Saturn?
Thanks.

Rick