GM HEI circa 1985 info needed

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com
Tue Oct 27 21:30:20 GMT 1998

>From the 1987 Chevy light truck manual the 2.5L S/T truck distributor has a
regular HEI pickup coil and a Hall effect switch mounted above the pickup
coil. The hall effect switch supplies reference pulses to the ECM and tells
it which
Cylinder is next to fire. The 2.5L S/T HEI module is a 7 terminal module but
the 'R' (reference) is not connected.
The hall effect switch has 3 terminals A/B/C  A goes to +12 volts 'B ' is
the output and swings from 0 volts to almost 12 volts when a metal blade is
placed in the gap. 'C' is ground.  All of the hall effects I have seen need
+12/out/ground
So your 2 wire could be a coil. I would not use the output of a hall effect
to trigger a module, the 12 volts could damage it.