Home-brewing an ignition advance control

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 00:52:50 GMT 1998

Cudabob wrote:

>I just picked up (purchased) a "programmable EI system" from an
>outfit in Australia. (KitZ). It is based on a PIC 16C84 and features
>multi cylinder choices, dual programmable advance curves and
>other nice features. But I digress....Tony Nixon who wrote the
>program, willing shares his concepts and even a copy of the
>original code is/was on his home page....something or other
>"picknpoke".

Sounds like great fun!  Does anyone have a url/email address for this?

I'm contemplating something along these lines myself.  Where can I get
the fittings which connect to the back of injectors?  Seems like all
injectors are designed to plug into a special fuel rail, etc...  Hints?

Oh, I checked out that National LM1949 driver someone mentioned
recently.  Looks like a winner.  Another fun chip is the Linear Tech
LTC1294.  This is a 12-bit 8-channel (4 channels differential) A to D
converter which operates across a 3-wire interface...  You could (and I
do) read all sorts of MAPs, TPS, air/coolant sensors etc with just one
of those guys...

>The basic idea is to lock both the advances (mech  & Vac) at full
>advance, set the distributor at 45 deg BTDC and delay firing the
>coil by a calculated time, based by rpm. Simple eh?

Wouldn't there be a phasing problem between the rotor and the
appropriate distrib post if it is set for 45 degrees?

Thanks for a great list!
-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160