Home-brewing an ignition advance control

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 14:09:54 GMT 1998

Greeting diy_efi list,
 I wrote:
> recently.  Looks like a winner.  Another fun chip is the Linear Tech
> LTC1294.  This is a 12-bit 8-channel (4 channels differential) A to D
> converter which operates across a 3-wire interface...  You could (and
> do) read all sorts of MAPs, TPS, air/coolant sensors etc with just one
> of those guys... >>

Several people have e-mailed me with questions about this part.  Check
out the datasheet on the Linear Tech site:

http://www.linear.com/cgi-bin/database?function=elementinhtml&filename=DataSheet.html&name=DataSheet&num=375

Basically your controlling processor clocks over a config word which
selects which channel to convert.  Subsequent clock pulses from the
processor cause the A to D to convert one bit at a time of the final
digital result.

If you want 12 bit accuracy, clock it 12 times.  If you only need 10,8,
7 or any other number of bits, just clock it the appropriate number of
times!

This part isn't particularly cheap, but it is rather versatile.

More later!
-Bill