TBI ??

Steve Ravet steve.ravet at arm.com
Wed Oct 28 15:49:43 GMT 1998

Vance Rose wrote:

> Hi All
>
>         Finally got start on my v-8 install into a s-10 blazer. Wanted to go with
> a TPI unit, but short on funds. Decided a TBI unit would be a less
> expensive option. Which donor vehicle would the best choice. The 747 ecm
> would also be desirable. Any input will be appeciated.

Vance, I got my TBI from a '91 Caprice.  It's a 350, but that year 350s
were only available in cop cars and taxis.  Mine was a cop car.  I also
wanted TPI, but now I'm glad I went with TBI.  The swap is easier,
cheaper, and the TBI engine is more suited to a truck than the TPI
(lower idle, low end torque, etc.)

Anyway, I assume you have the JTR book.  This particular engine did not
need a lot of the little mods that the JTR book calls for.  I didn't
have to get 305 exhaust manifolds, replace the TC shield, or other
little things.  That's one of the things I liked about it.  It's a 6965
ECM, which is the car version of the 747.  They're plug and play
compatible according to Bruce and some other people, so if you want to
switch out later you just get the ECM from a junkyard and a bin from
somewhere else.

I know Pete Fenske and I have done this swap, and maybe some others on
the list, so if you have questions ask away.

--steve

ps, you'll like the end result!

--
Steve Ravet