answer to cheep advance question

Mike Morrin mikem at southern.co.nz
Wed Oct 28 19:13:25 GMT 1998

At 08:07 am 10/28/98 -0600, Mike Ayres wrote:
>Look at http://www.picnpoke.com/projects/ignition.html
>
>The kit looks like it will do all you ask for under $50 bucks US. Knock
>sensor input, programed avance with two options, and a tac output.

I have just built one of these for a friend (not tested yet), and I would
point out some limitations:

1.  The unit has no provision for an analogue engine load input, vacuum
advance sensing is 1 bit digital.

2.  The knock sense input is the same input as the vacuum advance (i.e. you
can't have both).

3.  You need an external ignition coil driver.  This unit does not do
dynamic dwell control.

4.  It is not compatible with a reluctor trigger.

5.  The author constantly refers to ignition dwell as being the proportion
of time which the points are OPEN.

regards,

Mike.