answer to cheep advance question

ARoss10661 at aol.com ARoss10661 at aol.com
Wed Oct 28 22:56:35 GMT 1998

<< I have just built one of these for a friend (not tested yet), and I would
 point out some limitations:

 1.  The unit has no provision for an analogue engine load input, vacuum
 advance sensing is 1 bit digital.

 2.  The knock sense input is the same input as the vacuum advance (i.e. you
 can't have both).

 3.  You need an external ignition coil driver.  This unit does not do
 dynamic dwell control.

 4.  It is not compatible with a reluctor trigger.

 5.  The author constantly refers to ignition dwell as being the proportion
 of time which the points are OPEN.

 regards,

 Mike. >>

The thing I really like about the picnpoke system is it is kind of a jumping
off point.  If I wanted it to be real easy I would buy the MSD system.  I may
not ever use the picnpoke design but it helps me THINK and to innovate!   I
wish I could find a old trashed MSD manual ignition advance control just so I
could open it up and check it out.

Al