answer to cheep advance question

Tom Parker tparker at nznet.gen.nz
Thu Oct 29 21:52:15 GMT 1998

Falb, John <John.Falb at Unisys.Com> wrote:

>Is it possible to make this thing adjustable +/- 10 degrees, or more,
>based on throttle position and rpm. Say three or four different maps for
>throttle position and adjust timing every 500rpms. Maybe even a boost
>input???????????

I'm new here, but I have seen the PIC based system. There is an article in
Silicon Chip Magazine that describes it, and the Jaycar kit was derived from
this article. It is a bit limited in the configurability. I think this is due
to all the data being entered via a keypad.

My question is what about the design that is on the list's web page? There is
what appears to be a fully featured ignition controller based around a
Motarolla microcontroler, with rs232 programming from a pc. This could be
extended easily to take vaccume and throttle position and a knock sensor into
account.

Has everyone overlooked this design, or is it just too complicated looking.
Has anyone built it? Has anyone got a design for the circuit board? That is my
major stumbling block at the moment, how would you design such a board?

Tom Parker - tparker at nznet.gen.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/